Saturday, February 2, 2013

I'm back!

This blog has been quiet for a while for happy reasons; I've been defending my PhD about flexible labour and romance writing associations, teaching two courses and taking a trip to the UK with my girlfriend.

But now I have a bit more time (and mental energy), so it's back to all sheiks all the time. I still have a shelf-full of books to get through and I'm sure you were all waiting to hear what happens to the ballerina and the Russian sheik.  And you will find out in the next post!

Until then, here's a post on movie fan magazines by media scholar Anne Helen Peterson, who also occasionally writes fabulous gossip round-ups of classic star scandals on the Hairpin. Photoplay, how I love you!

2 comments:

  1. Was the PhD defended successfully? I'm imagining you standing on the battlements of your thesis while attackers approach your fortress by boat. They fire questions (which have piercingly intellectually sharp points) at you but, recognising their academic status, you respond calmly by pouring oil on the troubled waters on which their vessel floats. This impresses them mightily and they acknowledge you as a true doctor of philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed! And that's a beautiful description of a defense. I hope that makes the thesis the princess in the fortress who must be defended...

      Luckily my defense was very non-adversarial and generally as pleasant an experience as I imagine a defense could be - I got a lot of good suggestions which I should be putting into use in revising for publication.

      Delete